Wednesday, February 6, 2019

What We're Reading This Week

I thought I would start a fun little mini-series within this blog about our favorite picks to read. We're doing a lot of reading these days because for one-we all love books. For two-it's FREE to request a book from the library and sink into a comfy chair and sail off on an adventure!

My husband and I have always been avid readers. I have fond memories of visiting my grandparent's home and simply hanging out in my grandmother's library. Something about the feeling of being in the library surrounded by all those books just put me at ease. She had shelves and shelves full of books and on more than one occasion I walked through the room letting my finger trace the titles of each book. Imagining and wondering what exciting new lives were trapped inside those paperback or  hardback covers just waiting to be explored. My husband was the same way. Growing up he was always reading. The bookshelves in his childhood bedroom are still full of books worn from the multiple times they were read.
When we got married and bought our first fixer-upper home...way back in 2008 when it wasn't the trendy thing to do. There was no Chip and Jo style, buying a fixer upper was just necessity because we were poor, young 20 year old's who decided to graduate college and get married in the same year. It was a spacious house though, and there was a den off of the master bedroom that we aptly named "The Library". It was a very studious library filled with leather chairs (I mean, one rickety computer chair), had lofty hickory bookshelves that soared to the ceiling (well, more like composite put-together-yourself bookshelves), but you get the idea. It was our library and we were proud of that thing. When it was time for us to move, we decided to "trim down" our book collection to a mere 7 tubs. SEVEN plastic tubs of the most essential books in our collection that we absolutely and one hundred percent needed to lug across the state to our new home.

The point is, we read. We love to read and here is a little bit of what we're reading this week:

Lily's class at school was reading this for their read aloud time. I got it from the library and read along so we could talk about it at home. It actually was a super cute book and inspired some great discussions. I would highly recommend this one with your 3rd-5th grader. It's fun!

This is Norah's pick this week. I think Weston actually found this one on our library trip last week, but it is CUTE and Norah has probably requested this book be read to her no less than 573 times. No joke. It's a good one! 

It has been years since I've read a good romance book. This one is cute, its easy to read and I'm interested to know more about Ree Drummond. I'm finding it a bit long and repetitive, but it's reminding me of the beginning days with my hunky man and fond memories that inspire love are never a bad idea.  

Here's Weston's pick. He's read literally about four other chapter books this week, but right now he is working on this one. It's capturing his attention and he loves it. It's a graphic novel and he loves to read those! 


Micah's working his way through this one. As you can see, It's a bargain of a book that my grandma (fancy library woman herself) gifted to my husband I think after our car accident in 2012. I think he's read it once before and is reading through again as a refresher. He has good things to say about this one! 

What are you all reading lately? Any good suggestions for anyone in my household? Go cozy up and grab a good book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment